Sunday, March 9, 2008

World Rainforest Information

Website Review

www.rainforestWeb.org/

This site opens to the Portal leading to information on World Rainforests. Links were available to Victory in Chile, Renewed Controversy as Disease Racks Camisea, Protect an Acre of Rainforest, and Pipeline Threatened Ecuador’s Rainforest.

Specific questions were listed.
Why are rainforests important?
What is happening?
Why are they destroyed?
How are they protected?
Finally, how can I help?

There is also a “take action site”.

Since I lived in Sitka, Alaska for nineteen years in a cool rainforest area, I have a different view point than many. The commercial trees in this forest were the Sitka Spruce. It is a fine hardwood for making pianos, tag board, boats, and planes. When we first arrived in town there was a pulp mill that was owned by the Japanese. This mill helped pay our national debt by the trees that the Japanese bought from the U.S. (the Tongass National Forest area and the native population tree area). By the time we left Sitka, the pulp mill was shut down. There were hundreds of law suites to stop the harvesting of trees. Eventually, the American owned pulp mill in Ketchikan, AK was closed down also. Loggers were not allowed to harvest the crop. Many people were put out of work. The forest is dead and dying because of the age of the trees. They will now just rot in the ground and not be harvested. This is a sad state of affairs. I hope that teachers will be able to give both sides of this argument and not just the one.

The Medicine Bow Forest is currently fighting a very serious bark beetle infestation. I do hope that people will be reasonable and let these trees be harvested before they either rot or burn up. This is a controversial topic. Ida M. Rounds

3 comments:

Kathy's Readings said...

Ida, thanks for sharing this site! I enjoyed it and have recommended it to my elementary teacher friends! Kathy

Sarah Stoll said...

I'm with you when it comes to being reasonable and having common sense. I don't think that the majority of the public are as informed as they should be about issues concerning our Earth. I would hope, too, that as educators we can present both sides of the issues to our students and let them make decisions through debate and the pros and cons. Thank you for sharing the site with us. This is and probably always will be an issue.
Sarah

Alaina said...

Hi Ida,
When I was in college I had the chance to teach in Costa Rica for a summer. It was an unbelivable experience. I would do it all over again in a heart beat. Since I have been in the classroom, I try very hard to share the experience I had with my students. Your website gave me an excellent resource to use while I am teaching about that. Thank you!