Sunday, February 3, 2008

Web Site Review - www.Refdesk.com

www.Refdesk.com

I was specifically looking for information on Mountain Men and the Solar System for fourth grade. Then when I looked at the Web Site www.Refdesk.com, I found that I had discovered a gold mine which I was delighted with. Overall, the site looked like a reference section of the library.

There were dictionaries, encyclopedia’s, thesauruses, word of the day, National and State newspapers, an Astronomy picture of the day and archives for this, plus maps, World Atlas, the Kelly Blue Book, and many other reference sites too numerous to mention. Especially, helpful were the four search engine listed with a search space by each. They were Google, MSN, Yahoo, and Wikipidia. Other search engines were available at the click of a button.

At the Wikipidia site, I found a very large text readable article about Jim Bridger as well as pictures of the man.

Then I was pleased at the huge amount of material available at the Astronomy and Space Information site also. There were close-up pictures of outer space from the Hubble telescope. Then, too, there was a solar eclipse painting from the 1700’s that was displayed for the children. Space games were available as well as other games for children.

All in all I recommend this site to be added to your favorites lists.

2 comments:

dbowen said...

We have to do a space unit in Kindergarten about the sun, earth, and moon. I plan on checking this website out for graphics and space games for my students.
Thanks for the in depth review of this site!

Mighty Literacies said...

Dbowen:
Another planet site I found today was the Internet Detectives Space Science site http://www.madison.k12.wi.us/tnl/detectives/. It has listed the "Nine Planes". There are pictures of the planets there also.
Ida M. Rounds