Sunday, February 17, 2008

Communicating on the Internet: E-mail, Mailing Lists, and Other Forms of Electronic Communication

Chapter 4

“Teaching With the Internet K – 12: New Literacies for New Times” Leu

At first I thought that I already knew about all the E-Mailing information but I was delighted to find new useable material from the Leu text. Keypals and mailing lists were new ideas for me. Also, I felt compelled to look up the information available on netiquette or (manners on the internet). Information can be found at http://stellacentral.com-pdf-netiquette.pdf. and at
http://www.albion.com/netiquette/corerules.html

The teacher, Marilyn, found that E-mail was not only useful in obtaining information but also in evaluating and synthesizing it for her class.

I had not totally understood the term “thread” previously. Whereby, “related messages and replies may be grouped together by topic, called “threading”. Click the triangle to point down - this reveals all the messages in a thread.”

When composing an E-mail letter and not being able to complete it, I discovered that the letter could be saved by clicking either the “save” button or selecting “ Save” from the File in the menu. It is retrieved by clicking the drafts or edit drafts. The “draft” menu also saves the letters that you compose while working off line.

I was especially ecstatic to see an online tutorial address listed for Macintosh. But when I checked the text’s address I found that this address was old and was not available. I was able to find some information on the Macintosh Tutorial at http://scilnet.fortlewis.edu/edtech/Mac/practice.htm which is a site set up by Fort Lewis College for training.

I recently wanted to delete a large print job and was having difficulty doing this on a Mac. (I know how to delete print jobs on my P.C. at home.) Was I ever thrilled to observe the District Computer Technicians in our building who helped out with that dilemma. (I had just taken the paper out of the printer to stop the printing until they came to delete the print job.) Prior to the Technicians coming, I had even checked in my “Macs for Dummies” book by Edward Baig and could not find the information that I needed there. The above web site address suggested that the Tutorial could be found on most Macs. In the Macs for Dummies I did find some interesting sites listed through. The Macworld site helped with information on “Wireless Network Acting Flaky?” Try these fixes. This address is http://www.macworld.com/article/60801/2007/11/dec07mobilemac.html?t=107

Weblogging and blogging are now familiar to me as I experience using it with this particular college class. I’d say that using the internet and E-mailing are here to stay.

Then I checked out the Internet Detectives at http://www.madison.k12.wi.us/tnl/detectives/ and here found an interesting site on Space Science which had listed “Nine Planets” with pictures and much detailed information regarding the planets.

Finally, the Woodlands School: Clearinghouse for Elementary Sites was easy to use. At this site I checked out the Literacy and Writing information on making sentences, and writing beginning and endings of sentences. It’s at http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/ It is handy to have safe sites listed available for all to use.

Ida M. Rounds

2 comments:

Otty Roney said...

Ida -- I also thought I knew everything about e-mail and was reminded of things I had forgotten and learned a few new things as well. I too was interested in the list serves and the netiquette. A friend of mine is the queen of exclamation points and other miscellaneous punctuation. I think a lesson in netiquette is important for all users of the internet. I know I have been guilty at times of using certain phrases or punctuation when I have been sarcastic and it may have come across as being hostile. Good lessons for us all to consider.

Mighty Literacies said...

Otty Roney,
I received an E-mail which used text type messaging that you would use on a telephone. I am still trying to figure that one out. I even checked www.netlingo.com and did not find out what the letters stood for. Now I need to telephone and ask.

When I worked for a psychologist as a secretary, he never wanted to do counseling over the telephone because he said that he would miss out on too much of the verbal expression and body language. So <:} and have a happy day. Ida M. Rounds